Re: Gigabit Linux Server Bottlenecks

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 09:55:20 EST

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Anton Ivanov wrote:

[snip]
> If you need QoS, namely class based queing and especially class based
> accounting on lots of ethers the choice is obvious - move to FreeBSD (where
> these have worked for ages) or Linux. Unfortunately 802.1q is not mainstream on
> both of them (I checked BSD last time eof last year).
[snip]

I'm *very* intrested in any performance numbers for Linux used in this
role.

Right now, if you look at big, fast, networking gear, it's *VERY*
expensive and not very featureful. Many of them don't even support IPv6,
much less firewalling. :)

Functionally, a Linux box with a gig card, 802.1q and connected to a
switch, makes a *VERY* inexpensive and featurful multiport router. Though,
I have no idea how it performs. Of course it will be slower then the
hardware based solutions.

But that might be better then being stuck with expensive equipment that
becomes a boat ancor as soon as you need IPv6 or other features.