Re: Gigabit Linux Server Bottlenecks

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 11:37:45 EST

>>>>> "Ingo" == Ingo Molnar <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> writes:

Ingo> On 8 Feb 2000, Jes Sorensen wrote:

>> Sorry but thats *BAD* performance by the SK card. I do around 2.5K
>> ints/sec with the Alteon when doing 65MB/sec traffic in one
>> direction with regular sized frames. The load is maybe not a
>> problem for the APIC, but 80k/sec truly sucks for the CPUs
>> considering the number of context saves/restores they have to do.

Ingo> i suspect the difference is that my system is not
Ingo> saturated. (has CPU cycles left). I'm saturating the TCP pipe
Ingo> (107MB/sec) and the gigabit card, while you are saturated
Ingo> CPU-power-wise. So it's pretty natural that if the CPU is too
Ingo> busy processing frames, workload gets clustered up into bigger
Ingo> chunks. Also, on which side do you have 2.5K ints/sec?

Oh it's been a while since I ran those tests, it was about the same
order for both receive and transmit. With Jumbo frames the numbers
certainly didn't go up.

Ingo> another difference might be TX interrupts - i'm using a TX
Ingo> interrupt per TX-ed descriptor (this way descriptors get freed
Ingo> up ASAP and the outgoing pipe can be restarted quickly)

Eeeek, now thats mean, how big is the TX ring on the SK card?

Ingo> if we (or the card) are clustering incoming frames even if load
Ingo> is not high, thats a latency problem - we want to know about
Ingo> available frames as soon as possible.

There's a latency tradeoff there, most coalescing algorithms basically
do wait for X packets and generate an interrupt or generate the
interrupt inbetween if there is more than Y usecs between packets. You
do not want an interrupt for each packet coming in.

Jes