Re: linux-2.3.41/drivers/char/mxser.c does not compile

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 00:36:28 EST

   Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:20:05 +0100 (MET)
   From: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)

   First, Let me say that I think that the TTY layer doesn't help me as a
   driver writer enough: There is too much "administration" that a driver
   needs to do. For example, the whole "open" logic is now implemented
   again and again in every serial driver.

Post-2.4 most of the open logic is GOING AWAY, along with the /dev/cua*
devices. This will simplify the open logic immensely.

I want to move the CD logic into the tty layer, both for blocking opens,
and for hangup processing. Hangup processing will happen in a
bottom-half handler, and not in the middle of an interrupt, where all
sorts of races can happen.

   I think a driver should be responsible for talking to the hardware,
   and the "driving layer" should do the thinking.

Oh, agreed, 100%. I just think the "driving layer" should be the tty
layer; we don't need another one.

The basic idea is that we'll have some generic functions for interfacing
to physical devices (face it most tty devices are physical; pty and
console are the exceptions), which can be overriden by the driver if
they wish.

                                        - Ted