Re: Source Code Release of NWFS 2.0 for 2.2/2.3/2.4

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 21:16:13 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> said:
> This is what happens when a bunch of 20+ years old guys suddenly get
> rich. It's the Marc Andressan Syndrome at NetScape all over again, it's
> like they're all 18 years old, and they just got their first piece of
> ass or something -- it drives them crazy, then they go nuts -- then
> comes the arrogance, conceit, and "I'll get you" behavior. Look how
> Alan reacted ("I'll get you Merkey").

That isn't very polite, is it.

> This isn't the Alan Cox I used to know -- the one that went out of his
> way to put Linux first and was the good samaritan of Linux Kernel. I
> think all the money is making folks a little nuts, and we are seeing the
> natural fallout of this -- hell, these guys are all under 30 (most of
> them). I think Linux is close to the point that it will fragment and
> break into many smaller efforts. I can feel it starting.

Sorry to contradict you. The head hackers on linux-kernel are behaving more
or less the same, modulo more work (linux is not a small club of developers
anymore, and l-k gets more than it's fair share of clueless posts; I'd
assume they are getting even more crap).

> ".... Success can test a man's metal more surely than the strongest
> adverary ..."

Yep. Finest metal, from what I see here. Can't say the same of people that
start badmouthing everybody in sight when things don't go exactly as they
wish.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616