Re: 2.2.14 kernel -- problems with NFS (and tcp?)

From: Chris McClellen (cmcclellen@weather.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 19:08:35 EST

Thanks Andrea! (I was thanking you for the release notes, heh).

I was informed by Brian C Doyle that NFSv2 for Linux is broken
when using non-linux NFS clients. I have applied the patch he suggested,
and so far so good.

Thanks for the info. The NFS will probably solve what I am seeing NFS
related (oops wise/kernel panic), and it sounds like 2.2.15 will help as well.

>>> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> 02/09 4:55 PM >>>
> hanging every week :-). So, can someone enlighten me as to whether the "tcp hang"
> that i've seen in some of the 2.2.15pre patch notes (thank you AC!) can bring a
> SMP box to a complete halt (someone forget to release a spinlock?).

Thank Andrea, he figured it out.

> that these 2 problems are indeed real problems and that older kernels don't have them,
> I'll move back. But megaraid would still need to work :-).

The TCP/SMP problem goes back to 2.1.x somewhere. It does cause complete
hangs on SMP boxes, it could be what you see under high load.

Alan