Re: [RFC] 2.3.39 zone balancing

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 18:19:53 EST

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Kanoj Sarcar wrote:

>Freepages.* is a global counter, that's why I think we should have a
>per zone freepages.*. For 2.3, atomic highmem allocations are not an

We just have it as far I can tell: zone->pages_{min,low,high} and it has
to be compared with the classfree value of each zone. Really I have not
checked the whole implementation line by line so I am not 100% sure
classzone does what I want.

Actually I think freepages.* for kswapd can be completly replaced by
takeing the NORMAL _class_zone over the pages_high watermark of the NORMAL
zone.

>issue (almost), so that leaves atomic dma and normal requests. On a

atomic dma allocations are not relialable in 2.2.x either.

>Okay, if that is believable logic for a zone-aware kswapd (and per zone
>freepages.*), the per zone freepages.* can be rolled into how the zone
>pages_low/pages_high etc values are setup when the zone is initialized.

Yes.

Andrea