Re: Again: Process stuck in D state while locking in NFS

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 05:09:51 EST

>> > Which kernel are you running, and what is your setup?

> SuSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.14, Solaris 2.6 NFS server.

> I just noticed, that lockd wasn't running, so locking was
> broken anyway.

This is a problem with the 2.2.14 locking. You need to manually start
the 'lockd' daemon using the 'rpc.lockd' program provided in the
nfs-utils package (ex-knfsd). If you don't already have this program,
you can find a copy of nfs-utils at

   ftp://ftp.linuxnfs.sourceforge.org/pub/nfs

My guess is that is the source of your problem. Please try this before
you attempt any further debugging...

> It is not clear how to turn on RPC debugging. Hints?

echo '65535' >/proc/sys/sunrpc/rpc_debug

will turn on the full RPC debugging code. That will usually give
syslogd a nasty turn though, since the volume of info is extremely
large. I'd therefore initially start by doing this only when the hang
occurs (after stopping all other NFS + locking activity from other
processes).

> I can also start tcpdump but with a sufficiently good filter,
> because this is not a reproduible thing, and I don't want to
> fill up my hard disk. What sort of command line should I give
> tcpdump?

Just start tcpdump when the hang occurs as per above:

   tcpdump -vvv -s 256

Cheers,
  Trond