Re: 2.4 Features

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 09:47:57 EST

> [Stephen Tweedie]
> > [Riley]
> > My memory may be wrong here, but it seems to remember SCT stating that
> > he chose to rename to ext3 since the journalling facility was likely
> > to make the driver not be backwards compatible with the current code.
>
> > SCT: Am I wrong here?
>
> Yes! It was chosen to keep the new codebase separate from the old,
> trusted ext2 code.

And I still think that is probably the best strategy for e2compr, as it
avoids arguments with Ted! But if Ted is also of the opinion that
e2compr is currently stable, and I believe he is, and is willing to
moderate incorporation into ext2, AIBHI, then the way is open to
Riley going forward with the merging.

Peter