Re: Make clean impossible in 2.3.42

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:08:05 EST

Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> > > I wonder have anyone noticed that "make clean" after a build in 2.3.42 fails
> > > with "xargs: environment too large for exec" ?

> > workaround: Remove your .config manually.

> It's dumb. "make clean" does not remove .config at all. It's supposed to get
> rid of all object files and libraries built on earlier stages. I did patch
> the makefile to output all "find" output to a file (it's 32K+ in size) and
> run a for loop for every line of this file. It's not a right thing and
> slows down the cleanup a little bit, but it's definitely needs fixing
> in the kernel itself. It's neither makefile's nor xargs' fault. It's the
> kernel itself who has to be blamed.

someone posted a patch to lkml which removed all the CONFIG_xxx from the
environment.

> I'm pretty sure that all such "little" misconveniences are caused by slight
> changes in kernel behaviour. Can someone among the kernel gurus explain what
> was the reason behind changing a cmdline interface in /proc ? Have we won

I haven't checked into this specific change but it doesn't matter:
2.3.x is the time when you are allow to break interfaces.

--
Jeff Garzik         | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024       | with two lips, two lungs, and