Re: Linux Hardware Absctraction

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 16:13:36 EST

> I know that Linux does not have a formal HAL. I do not know if "arch"
> directories provide a consistent
> common interface to the remaining architecture independent code.

Basically yes. Some of the architecture properties leak into the main tree
but we try and avoid that except when the alternative is really ugly.
The include/asm-* and arch/* code is a mix of things like bootstrap code
and also architecture dependant code

        arch/*/kernel contains the kernel layer functions that are specific
        - things like ptrace, signal delivery and syscalls as well as
        interrupts and traps.

        arch/*/mm handles architecture specific memory management, most of
        the mm is defined by the includes that describe the page tables

> Any links to existing documentation are also welcome.

There are books on the subject, no good online documentation.