Re: 2.4 Features

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 16:04:23 EST

One more thing that needs cleaning up in e2compr:

Looking at the documentation in Readme.e2compr, I'm afraid I have to
agree with the comment here:

>One feels that at least one of these cleanup flags ought to
>disappear. The main use of the persistent EXT2_DIRTY_FL is where the
>user does `chattr -c' in order to decompress the file, but there isn't
>enough space on the device to do this. We can get rid of this problem
>by having ext2_ioctl() call ext2_cleanup_compressed_inode()
>try to [sic; the file ends in the middle here]

Looking at the documentation above, it's not clear why the two on-disk flags
EXT2_CLEANUP_FL and EXT2_DIRTY_FL exist. I kinda see the reasoning
behind EXT2_DIRTY_FL, but not EXT2_CLEANUP_FL. The documentation needs
to better explain what's going on at a high-level, and not at a
low-level (I can read the source for that), but more importantly, this
is another area where the on-disk format looks a little dirty, and
perhaps should be cleaned up before e2compr gets folded into the
kernel.

I suspect that EXT2_DIRTY_FL can go away entirely on the on-disk format,
but that's only after taking a brief look at the code. (You may still
need the additional cleanup flags in the in-kernel inode, if I
understand things correctly --- the documentation's a little sparse here
--- but I'm pretty sure one on-disk bit is all you need. And if you do
need more than one bit, what the bits mean should be documented.)

                                                - Ted

P.S. Sorry to be such an taskmaster, but this is what quality control
is all about.