Re: Linux Status For 2.3.x: v 2.3.43

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 19:03:14 EST

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Truncate races (Debian apt shows it nicely)
> I'm really curious what exactly this is?

Here is a sample: I've no idea why apt happens to be the great trigger
of this either.

> I've noticed, when I'm running either plain vanilla 2.3.39 or 2.3.40, upgrading
> a pile of debian packages thru apt (download via ftp, temporary spooling of
> the .deb in /var/apt/cache, then bulk installation of each .deb), the
> apt software stop on an error, due to a corruption of a freshly installed
> package file list (a file containing the full path of each file installed by
> a particular package).

A well-known problem for me. I end up rebuilding the file list form the
.deb
dpkg never breaks more than one file at a time, as it stops when
encountering
the first broken one.

I got the impression that "truncate" was broken with a race of some kind
when the new pagecache went into 2.3.x (2.3.7?) dpkg doing a upgrade
truncates and rewrites a list file for every package upgraded, which
typically
is a lot of files. And there are lots of other disk activity while this
goes on.

I have the impression that this is one of the things that will be fixed
before
a 2.4.0 release.

> It may be apt or dpkg which are broken, but the thing is I've never had
> such a corruption with 2.2.x, only 2.3.x

They refused a bug report because of the experimental kernel. It does
not
happen with 2.2.x kernels. The choice is simple - run the latest and
greatest
with known bugs, or stable old 2.2.x

Helge Hafting