Re: Softnet/eepro100 driver conversion bug in 2.3.43pre8?

From: Christopher Allen Wing (wingc@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 19:54:17 EST

Simon:

> Well, I've also seen the timeout problem on 2.2 on one of our routing
> boxes with 4 eepro100s, but it usually only occurred with high loads and
> not out of the blue with a really low load. The patch that went into 2.2
> did indeed fix it.

I don't have any machines under any sort of real load, which may be why I
never saw a problem in 2.2.

> The timeout I saw on 2.3.43pre8 happened with light
> (but I suppose perhaps bursty) load, which is why I was assuming it might
> be a different problem.

Hmm, most of the 2.3 timeouts I saw occurred when I saturated the 10BaseT
doing a scp to another machine. Occasionally, though, it did timeout in
the absence of any considerable traffic.

> It took about an hour to show after booting pre8, whereas I've never
> seen the problem before and I've been playing MP3s via NFS similarly
> with 2.3 kernels and the same card for at least 6 months now.

That's interesting-- you probably have a different revision eepro100 than
I do, though. Mine are onboard old Intel PR440FX dual PPro motherboards.

> Perhaps the softnet changes are exposing the timeout problem more easily
> now.

That could likely be the case. I know nothing about the driver so I
shouldn't speculate :)

> Oh, also, the 2.2 timeout would make the card die until the module was
> reinserted or the interface downed and upped again. Each time it has
> happened here it has recovered after a few seconds (which is good :) ).

I saw the same behavior before softnet in 2.3. The network would be down
for about 10 seconds while the card reset, but there were no permanent
side effects.

-Chris
wingc@engin.umich.edu