Filesystem read corruption/TLB flush bug still present in 2.3.43 final

From: Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 22:37:47 EST

This started happening in the 2.3.43pres, and just happened again in
2.3.43 final:

[sim@oof:/d2/new]> tar xfz /d/linux-2.3.43.tar.gz
[sim@oof:/d2/new]> mv linux linux-pre1
[sim@oof:/d2/new]> !tar
tar xfz /d/linux-2.3.43.tar.gz
mv linux linux-pre2
cd linux-pre1
patch -p1 tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: /d/linux-2.3.43.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

...I was typing ahead there while waiting for it to untar. Running the
untar again works. Running md5sum 30 times on the tar file gives the
same output. It appears to be the combination of tar writing to the disk
while reading the tarball that seems to cause the input corruption.

I think this started with the TLB flush changes. This is on my same
dual-processor IDE box with 128 MB ECC SDRAM that I have reported other
problems on.

Also, occasionally, while diffing kernel prepatches, I get the
"Input/Output Error" error while trying to "rm -rf" old trees. This has
been happening for quite a few 2.3 releases now, and I've seen a few
other people report the same problem.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]