Re: BUG: 2.3.43 breaks vmware, 2.3.43-5 was OK

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 04:13:39 EST

   From: Michael Harnois <mdharnois@home.com>
   Date: 11 Feb 2000 00:03:57 -0600

   (I was easily able to change vmnet to compile with the guide to the
   tbusy changes, but I haven't yet been able to figure out what has
   happened to start_bh_atomic or end_bh_atomic.)

It's a huge conceptual change, which is why I didn't try
to describe it in a HOWTO document.

Basically, people used to be able to use start_bh_atomic() and
basically turn off all network processing. This is no longer the case
with the fully threaded networking, you must use real SMP locking to
protect against whatever events the start_bh_atomic calls in vmware
are trying to synchronize with.

So if it is trying to read the state of some networking data
structure, you need to go into the networking and see how SMP
locking is done there to protect that data structure, etc.

This is not just a "replace this with this" type change, you
have to actually have to use your brain to fix it.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com