Re: Encrypted File systems implementation into the kernel?

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 02:49:04 EST

If you need help from the ReiserFS/Namesys team, just let us know how best
to assist, and we can put what hooks you need into our next major version.

Hans

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:14:25PM +0000, Robert de Bath wrote:
> > Yes it could be done quite easily.
>
> I would question the "easily" part. There are other issues.
>
> > But first you'll have to get rid of all the idiots in the American and
> > French governments.
>
> I think you are a little out of date with current events.
>
> As of January 14, the US export restrictions on cryptopgraphy
> were relaxed (outside of one minor reporting irritation which does NOT
> affect Open Source Software - only commercial software). We are in a 120
> day "comment period" but the changes in the regulations themselves are in
> effect, NOW. The regulations on Open Source Software SOURCES was almost
> totally relaxed with no real restrictions on download sites and no reporting
> requirements (please note emphasis on SOURCES - binaries are still
> restricted somewhat). The policy at kernel.org has now changed to
> allow cryptography and they are in the process of making crypto available
> from their sites and mirrors. One gotcha was the loss of one or more
> mirror sites that reside in the T-7 countries (7 countries listed as
> restricted due to Terrorist activities) because the kernel.org gang do
> want to include some binaries on the sites. I know we lost at least one.
>
> The French relaxed their restrictions on possession of cryptography
> last year some time and even the crypto law survey site has that updated.
> There are still restrictions in Russia, China, and a few other countries,
> but we can't be playing to everyone elses' lowest common denominator (plus
> we want to provide strong encouragement and incentive to lower those
> regulations as well).
>
> I spoke directly with Linus a couple of days ago at LinuxWorld Expo
> in New York. I specifically wanted to get his views on where he saw crypto
> in the kernel proceeding, both from an implimentation standpoint and from
> a time-frame standpoint. I don't want to "speak for the man" but he told
> me that he wants to move forward on crypto in the kernel but he wants to
> move slowly as things play out.
>
> That gave me the impression that it is unlikely that we will
> see hardened crypto integrated into the kernel sources in the early
> 2.4 releases. I do hope that something does make it into the 2.4 release,
> though. I would personally prefer KLIPS (The kernel component of
> Free/Swan IPSec) but I realize that some people are going to differ with
> me on that.
>
> We have technical crypto issues that have to be examined carefully,
> and that's why I held a BOF on "Cryptography in the Linux Kernel" last
> Thursday at LinuxWorld. We have cryptographic file systems (several) and
> cryptography protocols (CIPE, FreeSwan/IPSec) to consider. We DON'T need
> 5 copies of 3DES, four copies of Blowfish, three copies of Idea, two
> copies of Twofish, and a partridge in a pear tree in the kernel. And
> let's not forget AES, SkipJack (Yuck), GOST, Lucifer, Loki, and what
> [...]

Get Linux (http://www.kernel.org) plus ReiserFS
 (http://devlinux.org/namesys).  If you sell an OS or
internet appliance, buy a port of ReiserFS!  If you
need customizations and industrial grade support, we sell them.