Re: Detecting BIG HDD ...

From: Daniel J Blueman (daniel.j.blueman@stud.umist.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 12:11:01 EST

Hi guys,

> Did you remark than the disk model is reported correctly with "hdparm -i
.." and
> there is some garbage (letters mixed) when using "hdparm -I .."
>
> with hdparm -i /dev/hdb :
> Model=WDC WD172AA, FwRev=82.10A82, SerialNo=WD-WM6910086788
>
> with hdparm -I /dev/hdb
> Model=DW CDW71A2 A , FwRev=281.A028,
> SerialNo=DWW-6M19006887 8
>
> I've the same thing here, even if the disk seems to be correctly detected.
> Only the DMA mode does not work here.

You'll notice that every pair of bytes in the drive identification string
are swapped round. This is because of the endian-ness of the data stored on
the disk. This is completly normal.

Doing a 'hdparm -i /dev/hdb' just gives you the information after it was
'translated' earlier.

Dan
Daniel J Blueman
Undergraduate - BSc Computing Science