Re: [clueless] cryptography in DVD? Re: DVD-ROM problems

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 10:05:17 EST

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 11:40:09PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > #mount /dvd
> > > #tstdvd /dev/cdrom

> > (usually you tstdvd prior to mounting, but it's usually not a problem).

> > > not Authenticated
> > > Request AGID [1]... AGID 0
> > > Host Sending Challenge: 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01 00
> > > LU sent key1: FD 14 D4 74 2A
> > > Drive Authentic - using varient 0
> > > LU sent challenge: 23 22 8E F5 86 EE BB 8B CB 3F
> > > Host sending key 2: 8D 8D 6B C7 9B
> > > DVD is authenticated
> > > Received Session Key: B6 3D 2A 82 94
> > > not Authenticated
> > > Received Disc Key: 7A 7D 51 2E ED 2F 06 89 A6 6C
> > > Authenticated
> > Ok, so it authenticates fine at least. I'd like to see the errors that
> > get dumped to the logs at this point (dmesg), this might not be a
> > plain I/O error.

> Just out of curiosity, what is that? You need cryptography for your
> DVD to work? What is it good for? Why does linux need to know if drive
> knows some secret numbers?

        Uh... Haven't been keeping up on current events, I take it.

        It would take a long time to describe what's been going on over
the last couple of months and that would just be the readers digest version.
Put simply, the movie industry wanted video DVDs encrypted for copy
protection (yes I know that's silly and wouldn't work - they didn't).
So video DVDs are encrypted. Jon Johnson in Norway broke the decryption
and published DeCSS. You need the css-auth module derived from DeCSS
in order to decrypt the DvDs on Linux. There is a big controversy
swirling around about this and several lawsuits in progress now.

        There are petitions in circulation right now and I've seen several
calls for boycotts of anything and everything associated with the MPA.

        If you want background information, go to linuxdvd.org, slashdot.org,
linuxworld.com, linuxtoday.com, eff.org or any one of dozens of other news
sites. It's even been up on CNN. Just search for DeCSS and be prepared
to be inundated with hits.

 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/