Re: 2.3.43 alpha broken with >2g of ram

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 13:24:53 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Peter Rival wrote:
>
> >I did try it, and sent a failure note to axp-list, yourself, and Jay. Only Jay
>
> FYI: I don't listen to axp-list thus if you like me to read your faliure
> note post your messages to linux-alpha@vger.rutgers.edu.

*nod* I'll try to remember that next time. :)

> >JSYK, it blew up when trying to scan the QLogic 1040B adapters in the system
> >for drives, complaining of SCSI command timeouts. This is both with the driver
>
> You are been lucky it broken so early, if it would have booted it would
> have corrupted your fs.

Not worried about that - I'd consider that a worst-case scenario, and it's not like
I haven't blown up a filesystem before. Besides - it's just a test system, so all
I'd have to do is re-install. I have two new issues:

1) Has anyone tried compiling 2.3.43 for an SMP alpha box? I get an error at final
link that there are undefined references to 'flush_tlb_pgtables' in mm/mmap.c. I
tried the simple thing of making it an empty function for both UP and SMP, but that
just oopsed recursively after configuring the console.

2) Dave (or anyone for that matter) - is the qlogicisp driver in the 2.3.43 tree
supposed to work correctly? Or am I supposed to grab the one from the vger CVS
tree?

Thanks!

 - Pete