Re: Capabilities

From: Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:21:35 EST

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> Ah, I wasn't aware that was possible. I had assumed that your
> stat_data was rather fixed in size.
>
> That being the case, I would like:
>
> __u32 flags; /* ext2 compatible file flags */
> __u32 cap_allowed; /* allowed capabilities */
> __u32 cap_forced; /* forced capabilities */
>
> If you can do that without breaking the disk format, then it
> can wait for 2.5, otherwise I think it would make sense for
> them to appear in 2.3 (assuming that the format has already
> changed for the 2.3 port?).

See another mail I just sent. Looking at the future picture, we are using
28/32 capabilties. The rate at which we are finding "holes" in the
capability list is admittedly small. However, I expect this to accelerate
as people are starting to use capabilities to de-priv programs.

I would be happier with 64 bit (or greater) capability fields in any
filesystem structures; it has the potential to save a lot of grief in the
future.

Cheers
Chris