Re: Capturing all keys on more-than-102-keys keyboards

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 18:58:46 EST

    From helgehaf@idb.hist.no Fri Feb 11 09:29:43 2000

>> Some keyboards communicate extra keys by using "protocol oddities".
>Do you have concrete information?

    Sure. I have a Tandberg keyboard with quite a few extra keys.
    The extra keys is dedicated to an ancient word processor,
    and I believe they can be put to other uses now.

    All "normal" keys are sent in the standard way.
    The extra ones are sent by first sending a zero, and then
    a keycode for some "normal" key.
    Releasing the key or autorepeating use the same zero prefix.

    The current keyboard driver toss zeroes in the interrrupt routine,
    because they don't conform to protocol. So I get ordinary letters
    and numbers from my extra keys. And that is what showkey shows too.
    Using the printk() method showed the zeroes.

Interesting. My information so far seems to indicate that things are
a bit different. You say that the prefix is 0, but so far my reports
mention 0x80. (Maybe you saw 0 with a printk past the point
where this first bit was interpreted as key release bit?)

See also
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-2.html#ss2.10
. Do you disagree with the data shown there?

The just-mentioned URL has scancodes, but no key engravings.
Are there any?

Andries