Re: keeping track of time spend in non-user space

From: Artur Skawina (skawina@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 21:55:23 EST

Sjaak Koot wrote:

> I am using linux kernel 2.2.13 on a Pentium PC.
>
> I would like to keep track of the CPU time in user space of a process or
> task. The user/system time currently implemented is not accurate enough,
> its resolution is 10 ms.
>
> The idea was to keep track when a process enters/leaves the kernel space
> and use the time stamp counter to measure the amount of time spend in
> the kernel and substract this from the wall clock time. Note that I would like
> to know the CPU time in user space for each process separately.
>
> Anyone already implemented this ?

Jan Astalos <astalos@tuke.sk> has some patches which make use of the TSC
for precise time accounting.
On 586/686 you could use the MSRs to get exact user/kernel cycle numbers
too, but i'm afraid that would be way to slow to be acceptable as a
generic solution (a lot extra cycles per every ctx switch).