Re: 'core' (patch)

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 15:50:17 EST

Hi Richard.

> I think it would be "nice" to change the kernel directory name,
> presently "core", to "Core". There are various reasons for doing
> this, previously discussed on this list.

Various versions of your suggestion have appeared over the years,
including one from myself when I was considerably newer to Linux than
I am now. Probably the best was the one that proposed to change the
name of the said directory from "core" to "netcore".

In every case, the result has been the same: Linus has decreed that
the said directory shall remain named "core" and as he's the one who
decides what actually makes its way into the official distributions,
what he says goes without argument.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.