Re: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

From: Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer@best.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 23:51:25 EST

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 07:33:10PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> In message <200002122355.PAA22210@clock.engr.sgi.com>, Zachary Amsden writes:
>
> "There is more in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than is dreamt of in your
> philosophy." See, for example:
>
> http://www.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/NASD/
> http://www.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/extreme/
>
> brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
---end quoted text---

That's real interesting Brandon, but that is quite a few years away.
Sounds like an R&D plan that would get embraced in those four year
Advanced R&D labs that the big disk drive companies have (Refer to my
original post.) For instance the one that Seagate now has right down the
road from you over there at CMU... You have supported my original post
on the matter, even if you don't understand how...

>From the NASD site...
<quote>
...Our goal is to define the evolutionary path...
</quote>

Look, I thought we were talking real world stuff, not University research.

And you'll note that those R&D programs are not entertaining the idea of
_welding_ a general purpose processor on to the backend core processor. What
they are doing is integrating far more sophisticated frontends to the core,
special purpose, pipelined dsp. Again more support for my original post.

I could go on and on about other issues, but I am just too busy... But I'll
give you something to think about. Those R&D programs are really about the
dreams and aspirations of the disk drive industry (The industry collectively
founds that research.) There is a natural tension between the disk drive
industry, the microporcessor industry, and the network industry. These
industry heavy weights are all attempting to drive the industry evolution in
their most profitable direction. And those directions are somewhat in
conflict... If I had the time, I could argue that these other industry heavy
weights have far more money invested in their R&D work and will ultimately
control the future--rather than the disk drive R&D groups...

So you don't follow? Consider the recent history... The micro-processor
industry forced the onset of the sub $1000[1] dollar pc down the throat of the
disk drive industry--resulting in disaster to the disk drive industry's
profitability...

I have no more time...
Karen

[1] err, $800, err $600, err $400