Re: 2.3.43: IDE CD mount(8) hangs; ditto SysRq

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 00:16:38 EST

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Sorry, but from the moment I got this machine (2.3.20 or so) 2.3.x gave
> severe filesystem corruption on it. I tried several 2.3.x on and off, the
> first one I tried that was stable enough for any use was 2.3.42aa2. It has
> the same problem. I don't remember for sure if I tried 2.3.x before with
> CDs (I had other worries :).
>
> 2.2.15pre6 and 2.3.42aa3 gave:
>
> kernel: hdd: ide_wait_noerr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: hdd: ide_wait_noerr: error=0xb4
> kernel: hdd: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: hdd: set_drive_speed_status: error=0xb4
> kernel: hdd: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
> kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.06
>
> (Revision 2.56 doesn't give any of this nonsense)

Translation of "this nonsense"......

Your CDROM can not handle the full throttle auto-tuning, the is a problem
with the device's firmware or other hardware. If your drive behaved well
and responded correctly to the active-hardware correction of the BIOS
settings, it would have never barffed the message.

> It is identified as CRD-8400C, ATAPI CDROM drive, alone on ide1.

It most likely belongs on a capablities list of short comings.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy