2.3.42: bootmem/zoning problem?

From: Richard Zidlicky (Richard.Zidlicky@stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 14:28:42 EST

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my m68k/Q40 port to 2.3.X, unfortunatelly
I am getting consistent panics very early in the boot process.

The arch specific stuff apears ok, I am suspecting it is my slightly
unusual memory configuration that breaks either the bootmem or
zoning code.
The (useable) physical memory starts at 128K and goes up to 32MB.
In 2.2.X Linux gets everythig from 256K-32MB and it works fine.
Are there any new alignment constraints added for 2.3.X? Where
should I look?

Here is a typical panic, the point where exactly it panics changes
when I try with different memory configurations.

Linux version 2.3.42 (rz@rz) (gcc version 2.8.0) #11 Wed Feb 2 19:38:57 CET 2000
On node 0 totalpages: 00001fc0
zone(0): 8128 pages.
zone(1): 0 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 26.52 BogoMIPS
tp:7593
Memory: 30372k/32512k available (1000k kernel code, 1084k data, 56k init)
kmem_create: Forcing size word alignment - vm_area_struct
Buffer-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
kmem_create: Forcing size word alignment - kiobuf
kmem_create: Forcing size word alignment - bdev_cache
kmem_alloc: Bad slab magic (corrupt) (name=kmem_cache)
Kernel panic: cannot create inode slab cache
In swapper task - not syncing

Any ideas?

Bye
Richard