Re: Remote file system

From: Richard Adams (pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 09:33:06 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Gaurav Yadav wrote:
> Hi !
> I do not want to use telnet or some other session.
> I want something like this
> vi \\166.166.166.166\users\gaurav\work\linux\socket.c
> and it opens the file.

What it seems you want is NFS.
AFAIK you can just edit a file on another system like you ask, the
filesystem from the remote host would need to be mounted on your
system, then that filesystem will seem to be on your drive.
This means that both machines must be configured properly in order
for NFS to funtion properly.

> Please explain in a nutshell what is keyboard-to-keyboard
connection/session ? > -gaurav.

A telnet session is keyboard to keyboard, (unless telnet is told do
do otherwise) which means you log on to a remote host where you have
an account, every key you press will produce a local echo, makeing it
look like you are actually working on your own machine.

man telnet

For the whole story.