Re: Does anybody try to compile the 2.3 kernels at all ? :((

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 12:59:18 EST

Hi Dominik.

>> The most obvious point is that they are "Dual P54C-200" systems,
>> which indicates that they are SMP systems ("Dual") running with
>> non-MMX Pentium processors ("P54C") clocked at 200 MHz ("-200").

> I just checked: i am using P55C stepping 4 and stepping 3... The
> board is a GA-586DX (FWIW)...

I presume you've already read Alan's reply to my comments quoted above?

Basically, the P55C is the Pentium/MMX processor, and the P54C is its
non-MMX counterpart.

According to Alan Cox, whether that will work reliably in an SMP
configuration depends on the motherboard you're using it with, and
also whether that particular processor is certified as "SMP safe", a
classification which had to be achieved separately for each stepping
in both of those series. At least, that's what I understand from
Alan's comments, but if I've misunderstood them, I'm sure he'll let me
know...

I don't know which steppings were safe and which weren't, nor do I
know where to find out, but it's quite possible that you've one of
each as you have two different steppings...

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.