Re: elevator-starvation-4 (2.2.14 && 2.3.42)

From: Giuliano Pochini (pochini@denise.shiny.it)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 17:39:19 EST

> Well, yes and no. I guess my fundamental claim is that if
> userland is able to generate requests faster than the driver can
> fulfill them for an extended period of time then we've got a larger
> problem than worrying about a particular request taking a long time
> to satisfy. Indeed, I claim that as long as the driver cannot keep up
> there will always be a pathological case where a particular request
> is unreasonably delayed.

Yes, it is, but when several processes are reading/writing large amounts of
data at the same time, the kernel should manage requests so that all processes
gets a balanced IO rate. The way 2.2.14 behaves is wrong IMHO, because one
of the N running processes have to wait until one the of others finishes its
work. IO time should be given to requests like CPU time is shared between
processes.
Can I call it "preemptive I/O" ? :-))

Bye.