Re: Problem with kernels 2.3.43/4/5

From: Rui Sousa (rsousa@grad.physics.sunysb.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 16:21:41 EST

Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Rui Sousa wrote:
> >

> > Immediately after a reboot the application may or may not crash (this seems
> > to be random). Once it starts crashing it's completely deterministic and always
> > crash at the same point, even across reboots (as observed by strace).
> ^^^^^^^
> reboots or restarts?
>
> I assume restart, then it fits the pattern.

I mean the application _always_ seems to crash at the same place (if it
crashes).
Even after a reboot.

Once the application starts crashing it always crashes until I reboot.
Netscape and emacs sometimes don't crash immediately after reboot, they do
eventually
and after the first time they always crash.

> > An application that runs OK immediately after reboot sometimes starts crashing
> > later on (less than an hour interval).
> >
> > This is a Tyan Tiger 100 motherboard, IDE disk (8.3 Gb) only.
> >
> > .config:
> > [...]
>
> * no network filesystems, is that correct (NFS, SMB)
yes.
> * fat as module. Did you load it before the problems?
no.
> Rik encounters the problem with concurrent nfs+ide md5sum's. Could you
> try if multiple md5sum, perhaps concurrent, on large files (>RAM)
> produce non-matching results?

Test 1:
Running four md5sum's on the same file (168 Mb) at the same time, they all give
the
same result. (same time means the time it takes to put the mouse over another
window and press enter ~< 0.5s)

Wait a couple of seconds, and rerun the four md5sum's on the same file. They all
give
the same result but it's different from the one in the first run.

Each time I do another run they all give the same result but it usually is
different
from the previous one.

Test 2:
Running one md5sum on the same file up to nine times, one after the other, I
always
got the same result.

Rui Sousa