Re: Slow booting

From: David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 17:43:00 EST

there is a problem and it is related to the speed of the CPU and/or the
type of floppy controller in the system (I don't know which). If you boot
from a floppy on a <200 MHz system it boots fine, an a >300 MHz system it
can take 5-10 min to read the image off of the floppy before it starts to
compress it.

I have seen this while using the same floppy on systems ranging from
486/25 to PIII/550 but not on all systems (toshiba laptops seem to be
reasonably fast but many desktops dead slow) I have seen this on a wide
variaty of systems from dell, compaq, toshiba, and a variaty of clones
using different motherboards) I origionally put it down to a new bug in
lilo (thinking it was hitting every system) until I recently updated some
old P-75 and 486 systems to run linux and noticed how fast they booted in
comparison.

it acts as if the system is only reading a singly sector(or block) per
revolution of the floppy on the fast systems, but on the slow systems it
is able to read the whole thing quickly.

both fast and slow systems have the same performance when accessing the
floppy at all times other then the lilo boot process (and for that matter
it is only when reading the boot image, reading the root filesystem from
floppy is fast)

David Lang