2.3.45 compile glitch (SCSI stuff)

From: Jonathan Corbet (corbet-lk@eklektix.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 18:59:02 EST

2.3.45 refused to compile for me today; the error was:

  sg.c: In function `sg_init':
  sg.c:1092: `CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS' undeclared (first use in this function)

A quick dig in the source turns up this bit of business
(drivers/scsi/hosts.h):

#define SD_EXTRA_DEVS CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS
#define ST_EXTRA_DEVS CONFIG_ST_EXTRA_DEVS
#define SR_EXTRA_DEVS CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS
#define SG_EXTRA_DEVS (SD_EXTRA_DEVS + SR_EXTRA_DEVS + ST_EXTRA_DEVS)

Therein lies the rub. My system is SCSI, but has an IDE CDROM. So I
didn't bother configuring in the SCSI CD driver, CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS is
undefined, and things fall apart.

Configuring the CDROM driver as a module enabled me to build the kernel.

This change has broken the orthogonality of the various high-level SCSI
options, and should probably be fixed. One could imagine something like
the following:

#ifdef CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS
# define SD_EXTRA_DEVS CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS
#else
# define SD_EXTRA_DEVS 0
# endif

#ifdef CONFIG_ST_EXTRA_DEVS
# define ST_EXTRA_DEVS CONFIG_ST_EXTRA_DEVS
#else
# define ST_EXTRA_DEVS 0
# endif

#ifdef CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS
# define SR_EXTRA_DEVS CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS
#else
# define SR_EXTRA_DEVS 0
# endif

But other variants are possible too...