Re: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 05:30:29 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:45:16 -0800 (PST), David Lang wrote:
> take a look at the enbeded systems board prices, they include everything
> under the sun and are far mor expensive and capible then this type of
> project needs.
>
> i saw something (I think it was on ace's hardware site) over the weekend
> indicating there was a new chipset for gigE running ~$100 ea, combine that
> with a crusoe cpu (~$50) and some ram (say 16M for $30) you won't meet the
> +$100 that larry is wanting, but you could probably get +$250 for a box
> that would be a very adaquate webserver or fileserver, forget building
> huge central fileserver, have a bunch of tiny network fileservers with a
> way for the client to pass the connection off to another server (symlink
> equivalent) how many of these could you get working on the budget of a
> reasonable dual/quad server for a medium office (these machines run
> $15-20K to start)

That's still pretty expensive. The LART (see .sig for URL) prototypes
didn't cost more than $600 each. In a small run (~ 100 LARTs) this drops
down to $250, and in even larger runs it will even be cheaper. The
StrongARM SA-1100 CPU is more than capable to run a fileserver, a Crusoe
is way too fast IMHO.

Erik

--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt.