serial driver problem (as module) in 2.3.45

From: Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 18:47:07 EST

This may have been mentioned before...but what the heck...

I've noticed that with kernel 2.3.45 and possibly .44, the
serial driver is having a problem w/ loading+unloading when
compiled as a module.

The serial driver works -- but I use a tiny program called "modremove"
(a daemon that essentially does a double "rmmod -a" every X seconds)
and noticed it was taking up 99% of CPU cycles. It was trying
to unload modules after I killed a modem PPP connection.

I've tested it, and modremove isnt the problem. I was able to
recreate the problem by just modprobe'ing and rmmod'ing the serial
driver a few times from the command line. (looks like it works
-- unloads properly -- the first time, but trips up on the 2nd or
3rd time)

lsmod reports:

root@darkstar:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
serial 0 0 (uninitialized)

At this point, the program trying to remove it is un-killable
(even w/ repeated kill -9's) and top reports that it's taking
up 99% CPU cycles.

The serial driver is the only one I see doing this -- running PPP
on my machine involves 4 modules, the other 3 load/unload properly.

Sysinfo: Pentium 100, Intel Plato/Neptune II, 16Mb RAM+17Mb swap,
Linux 2.3.45/46-1, glibc 2.1.3, binutils 2.9.5.0.27, gcc 2.95.2,
modutils 2.3.9

---
Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com