Re: hardware...

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 05:42:48 EST

> I had the same problerms, random OOPs until I found out the PSU was just
> 220w. Threw it out for a 300w and the problems have disappeared - I've

I can tell another power issue. I've run a K6-III at 2.2V core for
several weeks and it appeared mostly solid. Just flaky enough to give
me the "compiler dies with sig11" when compiling X11 or Mozilla two or
three times - no problem with the (much smaller) Linux kernel. Of
course I suspected memory (and as I recently installed more memory I
first tried to swap them in all positions, etc.)

Then I finally bothered to figure out the (undocumented) jumper
setting to give my CPU the 2.4V it nominally wants. No more crashes
since.

Olaf
(and from the data sheet it appears there is also a 2.2V series K6-III...)