Re: DSL Modem?

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 09:11:10 EST

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 07:33:46AM -0600, Jesse Pollard wrote:
> .... If your site is already behind an acceptable firewall
> by your ISP you can plug the DSL into a hub instead.

  Err... If there is only one FW in between the world, and all
  customers, then I would not, for any price, accept ISP provided
  firewall as an indication of *security* -- any of the other
  customers may whack my machine(s)..
  (Me paranoid ? Who wants to know?)

  Such FW is out there only to enforce ISP's policies, like
  "no HTTP servers at customer machines", or some such..

  If they are for customer network security, they will be listed
  separately in the service price listings. (With a hefty price,
  but then you propably have "lots of" addresses ( >> 1 ), too..)