Re: [patch-2.3.46-p2] P6 microcode update support

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 12:02:28 EST

Ok, the final patch I've seen looks ok,

        ... BUT ...

I think we shoul dstart getting rid of /dev files for random new devices.

I'd MUCH rather just see a /proc/sys/xxx file, which has the advantage of
(a) needing no user-level setup (b) not having major/minor number issues
and (c) making it trivial to see if the kernel has the microcode update
support or not.

Special character devices are a weakness of UNIX, not a strength. We have
enough of them already. If they are virtual devices, then give them a
virtual interface..

                        Linus