Re: [patch-2.3.46-p2] P6 microcode update support

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 15:33:50 EST

nathan.zook@amd.com wrote:

> Umm, guys?
>
> This proposal disturbs me. I find the following exchange particularly
> bothersome:

Nathan, my patch is not a nuclear reactor - it is just a simple
enhancement. I am not even suggesting something exotic or extraordinary
- it is a well-documented Intel thing. It is a simple matter of "Intel
chips can do it - therefore Linux should have the brains to make use of
it". If it is dangerous - don't use it but don't say "don't implement
fire because someone might burn her fingers" :)

Your points may be valid wrt to whether Intel's approaches are
better/worse than "other guys'" but that is not being discussed. That
you should say to Intel engineers and not to Linux kernel engineers. I
don't care what features Intel processor(s) have but if the features are
there and potentially useful the kernel should support them. Period.

Regards,
Tigran.