Re: Capabilities

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 14:51:40 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:29:54 -0800, Casey Schaufler <casey@sgi.com>
said:

> So I feared. Has anyone proposed an internal API, or should I
> be rolling up my sleeves and getting to work?

There's a problem with internal APIs --- it's hard to make one which is
general-purpose. The main problem is that we need to interoperate with
a bunch of existing filesystems all of which specify ACLs in their own,
incompatible ways. Think of CODA, AFS, NTFS, JFS etc.

linux-fsdevel@vger.rutgers.edu is probably the best place to throw ideas
around if you want to help get something agreed, though.

--Stephen