Re: Of removable devices

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 20:08:31 EST

In <20000216131217.A1102@xmission.com> Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com) wrote:
> On Wed Feb 16, 2000 at 09:01:49AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Dominik Kubla wrote:
>> > First: There is something called vold (SUN haters please keep quiet)
>> > for Linux too for management of removable media. No need to
>> > patch the kernel as far as i know (i don't use this stuff).
>>
>> I like the Sun method... at least a lot better than supermount. :)
>>
>> CD insert -> automount
>> CD eject -> command "eject cd"

> To get the CD insert and CD eject events though, you have to poll the hardware
> every second just like Microsoft does, since nobody has ever created a CDROM
> drive supporting async event notification (though the Mt. Fuji spec lists async
> notification as an option). If folks are willing to live with polling...

What's even more problematic is that you can not find state of eject BUTTON.
And if CD is already removed it's to late to issue "eject cd" command or
umount or ... Disk is gone, the only choice you have is to oops (or ask user
to put CD back -- see my other letters on subject)...

P.S. And "ask user" approach is also not perfect: WHICH user ? If there are
100 users logged in system and disk is used by dome deamon (like updatedb)
which user should be asked to put CD/floppy back ? It's easyto put such feature
in single-user OS like AmigaOS, WindowsNT and/or MacOS. It's MUCH more
complicated to put it in mutliuser OS with remote login possibility...