Re: Drive name slips...

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 22:10:33 EST

Chris Meadors <chris@hereintown.net> said:
> "Raj, Ashok" wrote:

> > Linux kernel names the scsi drives sda, sdb .... so in case you switch
> > slots, or move across to a different controller then its possible you
> > can have very bad effects. Worst case is removing a drive and the drive
> > device files dont have a persistant assiciation with the location, or
> > do we have a magic superblock what the configured name was.

[...]

> devfs takes care of this. With the devfs patches you can address your
> drive by it's physical location, from controller all the way down to
> partition.

That is exactly the wrong answer. What is needed is to address the _data_
on the disk, not it's ephemeral phyiscal location. Worse yet, having to
become acquainted with esotherica like "controller all way down to
partition". OTOH, if you take a look at current versions of mount(8), you
_can_ mount by volume identifier and don't need all this nonsense at all.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616