Re: matroxfb, console switches, and BP6 SMP

From: Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 02:27:55 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Robert Woodcock wrote:

> Hello, once every week or so (it seems like only after using X for a
> while and then switching virtual consoles a lot, and never when the
> system has less than around 2 days uptime) my system will hang (no
> oops, no panic, no ping, no numlock, no sysrq) during the middle of a
> console switch. Sometimes it displays half of one console and half of
> the other, with one character of garbage inbetween to separate. I was
> wondering if anyone else was hitting this and knew why.

Check the power supply rating. It should be not less than 300w. I had
similar problems and tracked it down to the 230w power suppy. Threw it out
and replaced it with a 300w unit and all is well, I'm now into my 14th day
uptime!

(Alan - did you get my e-mails on this subject?)

Cheers,
Alex

--
Nil Carborundum Desperandum, heh-heh.