Kernel 2.2.14 problem, probably transproxy related.

From: Robert Cohen (robert@apex.net.au)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 05:04:31 EST

I'm afraid I have a rather vague bug report.
Ever since I upgraded one of my proxy systems to 2.2.14 from a 2.0
kernel, it has been very unstable. The maximum uptime is about a week,
it can crash after a day or 2.

The symptom is simply complete lockup. No messages in syslog. Screen
left blank. Cntl-Alt-Del doesnt work. I havent been able to get the
magic SysRQ stuff working ( does it work in 2.2.14?) so I can't provide
info from that.

The system has fairly common hardware.
Pentium 200, TX motherboard, 192 Megs of memory.
Adaptec 2940U SCSI card. PCI ne2000 clone ethernet.

The system isnt under heavy memory load. The squid process which is the
major applic running sits on around 100 Meg memory usage.

Ive simplifies the Linux config as much as possible.
I use IP firewalling and transparent proxy.
Config is otherwise default except for SCSI and ethernet card.
Ive tried the scsi and ethernet as modules and directly compiled.

I was letting squid have 8192 FD's but it does the same with the default
1024.

In summary, the only usual activity on the box is a reasonably busy
squid server setup as a transparent proxy.
I know that there was a transproxy bug in 2.2.13 which was supposedly
fixed in 2.2.14.
But this seems the likeliest area for the cause of the problem.

I'm limited in the amount of experimentation I can do since this is
supposed to be a production server. I have other similar boxes that
arent showing any problems, but they dont have the same sort of load.
I'm going to try swapping another box in to eliminate hardware problems.
Hardware problems dont seem likely since its been stable for a year
under 2.0 and only started misbehaving under 2.2.14.
But I thought I'd raise the issue here to see if anyone had suggestions.

--
Robert Cohen - Network Administrator
Apex Internet