Re: Of removable devices

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 05:52:34 EST

Hi David.

>>> AmigaOS just polled the line to detect insertions and removals.

>> Wonderful. And how frequent the polling was?

>>> it would mount as another logical volume. Now when there was a
>>> need to access the first floppy, the OS popped up a dialog ( a
>>> requester, in amiga terminology :-) saying "Insert volume
>>> Linux_help_disk into any drive". When the user

>> Ahem... OK, does anyone else see something strange in words "OS
>> popped up a dialog"?

> No.

> On a real operating system, the OS would simply notify userland,
> which would do whatever it wanted to do.

Fair enough so far. It's from here on that things go wrong.

> A sensible userland might then spit out a dialog telling the
> user...

Which user's screen should that dialogue appear on? Remember, the
process most likely to access floppies is the one that flushes dirty
buffers to disk - `updated` if my memory's correct - and it's unlikely
it will have any clue here.

Remember: On a multi-user system like Linux, the user that removed the
floppy could easily NOT be the user that was writing to it.

> ...to put the disk in question back into the machine, or it
> might ignore the frantic request from the kernel, at which point
> the OS would return EYOULOSE to the poor process that tried to
> access the no longer existing process.

Same question: WHich user should be notified?

> Think about kerneld/kmod/whatever it is this week.

They have one BIG advantage over the facility under discussion: They
do NOT need to interact with any user to do their work.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.