Re: Kernel developers

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 07:06:09 EST

> Yes, you're right, they're writing good code. But the most important
> part of the job of a good programmer is writing a good documentation
> for other people. This job is disregarded by most of the kernel programmers.

Actually no. See if we had a pile of documentation and no code nobody would
be running anything

> I hope the people on this list won't kill me now;)

Docs are important. Very important. There are now some passable books on the
Linux kernel although the rather nice device driver writing book is still
due its much needed update.

BTW, if you look at 2.3.45 and friends you'll notice one or two files now
using gdoc so that you can generate function references directly from the
drivers.

Alan