kernel.org and cryptography - UPDATE

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 17:32:10 EST

Hello everyone,

I just had a discussion with our legal counsel, and we have decided that
the legal notice for kernel.org users is excessively restrictive due to
the more lenient provisions of Open Source software. Therefore, the
legal notice is being revised as follows:

Some software on this site is capable of encryption. The United
States government controls exports of commercial use encryption
software under the Export Administration Regulations ("EAR"). EAR
amendments published Jan. 14, 2000, lifted most controls over
publicly available encryption source code that is not subject to
payment of license fee or royalty payment. This kind of encryption
source code now can be exported or reexported without a license
provided that the U.S. government is notified about the Internet
location of the software. kernel.org source code is publicly
available without license fee or royalty payment, and all binary
software is derived from source code available on kernel.org. The
U.S. government has been notified about this site. Therefore, the
code can be exported without a U.S. export license except to following
destinations: Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea,
Serbia (except Kosovo), Sudan and Syria. By downloading cryptographic
software from this site you are agreeing to these terms.

I hope this will allay some of the concerns that quite a few users have
expressed. All of this is obviously ridiculous, but at least we can try
to reduce the amount of brokenness to the largest extent possible.

        -hpa