login has become horribly slow w kernel > 2.3.4x

From: Vince Weaver (weave@eng.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 20:49:09 EST

Hello,
finally have a working 2.3.46 kernel... only one problem I have

with ..44, 45, .46 the login program has become horribly slow. At the
login screen after typing my password it takes up to 2 minutes for it to
log me in. Rebooting back to 2.3.34 and it works perfectly, logging in
almost instantaneously.

Were there any changes that might have caused this? Should I upgrade
packages?

I have a K6-2 350, 64 megs of Ram, glibc2.1 system [an old slackware
install upgraded over the years]. I think the version of login I have is
from a fairly recent version of the shadow-utils.

A strace shows this happening

gettimeofday({...}, NULL) = 0
getpid() = 360
socket(PF_UNSPEC, SOCK_??? (0), , 0) = 3
getpid() = 360
bind(0, NULL, 0) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
ioctl(3, FIONBIO, 0xbfffe110) = 0
sendto(0, NULL, 0, 0, NULL, 0) = 56
select([...][...]) = 0
sendto(0, NULL, 0, 0, NULL, 0) = 56
select([...][...]) = 0
sendto(0, NULL, 0, 0, NULL, 0) = 56
select([...][...]) = 0
sendto(0, NULL, 0, 0, NULL, 0) = 56
select([...]

with the above repeating over and over.....

on a semi-unrelated note starting with kernel 2.3.45 the system time has
been reset to 1 January 1997 whenever I reboot, but I think this might be
a BIOS problem, since it also happened after I changed my parallel port to
be ECP mode and wrote that to CMOS....

thanks for any help...

Vince