Re: matroxfb, console switches, and BP6 SMP

From: Petr Vandrovec (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 06:01:43 EST

On 17 Feb 00 at 21:58, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> > > Every single one of these crashes (4 so far) has happened that way - it's
> > > waaaay too consistent to be hardware.
> > Which applications are you running and what Matrox hardware is it?
> Matrox G200 AGP.
It should be safe.
> The fifth crash (tonight), I never did get around to starting X, but I did
> run a few invocations of fbset -accel false (BTW, is there a way to set fb
> options for all consoles at once?) and then a few minutes after that it
> tanked (probably while I was switching from an accelerated console to a
> non-accelerated one).
fbset -a .... Switching with noaccel takes longer time, so it happenned
sooner. There is almost sure something trying to reenter console subsystem
on your machine.
> I've changed my boot options to video=matrox:vesa:0x118,fastfont:40960,noaccel
> and set acceleration on selected consoles (scrolling up a line, f.e. up-arrow
> in less, is painful without it).
If you are using fastfont, there is no need for noaccel.
> > Symptom you described (character painted into half - and damaged) happens
> > only when someone else tries to write data to accelerator while ILOAD
> > accelerated operation is processed. Are you running some tty output
> > intensive application on one of VT in question?
> Does IRC in a moderately-busy channel count? :)
Probably not. I was thinking about some apps like I'm running - teletext
grabber which continously displays received stream, top running with
zero delay (but top spends tons of time reading proc, so it does not count)
or running DataFlex 2.0 engine for SCO displaying menu (it sends cursor
move at full speed).
> > Maybe there is some lock missing somewhere... If kernel is
> > older than 2.3.46-pre2
> stock 2.2.14
Hm, there is patch for console reentering during scrollback (used by
SuSE and I did not hear complaints (*)) - did you shift-pageup & console
switch together? Patch can be downloaded from
ftp://vana.vc.cvut.cz/private/fbdev/consolefix.diff.gz. It is from
June 22, 1999, so it will apply with some offset, probably.
It adds disable_bh/enable_bh around cursor operations, as since
softscrollback patches these operations can do putc/putcs for repainting
whole screen. If you switch console during that... (video=scrollback:0
is alternate solution).
> > you can try to enable MATROXFB_DEBUG_REENTER
> > in matroxfb and look whether you'll get some error message about reentrancy
> > in the log
> I'll try this when I get some difinitive results (crash or stability) from
> the fastfont/noaccel thing.
Ok.
> I'll give the fbcon X server another whirl to see if it does anything too.
There is no need if it crashed without X.
                                    Best regards,
                                            Petr Vandrovec
                                            vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

(*) I did not sent it to Alan because of I observed lockups in dualhead
system with that patch. Now, when reason for lockup was found in
fbcon_softback_note, I should try to resend it to Alan...