Re: Of removable devices

From: David Balazic (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 08:48:16 EST

Khimenko Victor wrote :

> In <E12LZ1Z-0002Ou-00@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
> >> Eh? If one wants to pull the mounted device in the middle of write and
> >> expects his data alive and well after that - well, he _is_ idiot. If you
> >> want political correctness - please: comprehension-challenged. Better?
>
> > End users don't always get it. They often aren't computing people. If they
> > turn off the TV or pull the plug out of the wall the TV doesnt break.
>
> If will switch gear on full speed improperly (without pressing "unmount"
> button by foot :-) you'll need to repair you car in no time. On most current
> cars there are automatic gear. PC does not have automatic gear for floppies
> yet. Is this explanation too complex for "non-computing people" ?
>
> > You need to think outside the computing mindset - not even neccessarily
> > into brightness either - someone can be very bright and utterly incapable of
> > relating to computers.
>
> Can he/she drive ?
>
> > At the same time - the fix is hardware, the PC isnt fixable for this the
> > CD-ROM drives are. The 2.2.x supermount stuff does that bit right
>
> Exactly. As far as there are no automatic gear for floppies you can not
> avoid manual unmount if you want reliable work.

But you CAN ,as at least AmigaOS proves.

If you didn't understand it at first, I'll repeat it :
IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!

> P.S. BTW ZIP drive HAS needed knobs in place: when I press "Eject" button in
> Windows I get message ON SCREEN "You are trying to eject disk while it's in
> use. Ok, Cancel ?" (translation from Russian). If I press Ok disk is ejected,
> if press Cancel disk will not be ejected. So at least for ZIP drive you can
> implement proper supermount (with small change in kernel and autofs) --
> hardware supports it.

<teasing>
But who gets the dialog ? Which user ? And if nobody is logged in ?
</teasing>

I answered ( in short ) these questions in my other post.
Anyone using common-sense can answer them , so I will not repeat it
here.

--
David loosing-the-nerve Balazic