Re: Proposed SyncPPP layer modifications

From: Gergely Madarasz (gorgo@sztaki.hu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 15:17:59 EST

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Jan Kasprzak wrote:

> Proposal 2: implement the common device allocation & registration code
> similar to the init_etherdev() and ether_setup() routines.

The problem I see with this: only syncppp and hdlc protocols can be used
on those devices this way. The comx drivers support lapb thru the lapb
stack, and they have a minimal frame relay support too. This would mean
that different protocols need different initialization stuff, etc... which
would make quite a mess, unless all the possible sync serial protocols are
integrated into the syncppp driver... So I don't think this is a good
idea.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@sztaki.hu           gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                   HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/